Wednesday, April 7, 2010

rant

I apologize for this sudden explosion of my opinions, but I just feel the need to put them out there, no matter if they change anyone else's view or not.

First of all, gays, lesbians, bi-sexual, and trans-sexual individuals are PEOPLE. People are entitled to rights. These rights include the ability to not be discriminated against. I know some people are made uncomfortable by these people and believe their discomfort is a valid reason to deny these people certain privileges. Some people use their religion as an excuse to discriminate against these people. "The Bible says gay sex is a sin!!!" And they point out one certain passage. I have read this passage. The passages surrounding it refer to wearing two different types of fabric at the same time as a sin, as well as eating pork. So if you're eating a hot dog right now and wearing cotton and rayon, you're as bad as a man who has sex with another man in God's eyes.

BUT, YOUR BIBLE SHOULD HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CONSTITUTION. Say what you want, but this country was founded on religious freedom. Not the freedom to be whatever approved denomination of Christianity you want, but complete and total religious freedom.

And one more thing. Remember slavery? People used the Bible to defend that as well. Remember when women had no rights? Well, the Bible says women are inferior.

So please, keep your "holy book" out of policy. How would you feel if it was used to discriminate against you?

Now, onto the myth that legalizing gay marriage is going to destroy the family as we know it. First of all who are you to say what a family is? Sometimes, the dad leaves and it's just a mom and a kid. Sometimes, the parents die and the kids have to live with grandparents or an aunt or uncle. Sometimes people can't, or decide not to, have their own kids and decide to adopt or have foster kids. Sometimes people are thrown out of their biological family and make a family of close friends. Are any of these not a family? Who says what a family is? Some people say the sole purpose of a family is to procreate. I disagree. I think the purpose of a family is to have people who will love you no matter what and whom you can depend on. And who is to say whom you can or can't love?

Oh, and having a male and a female parent doesn't make your life better, necessarily. My parents for a long time didn't love each other. They're working on it now, but all through my childhood, I could tell that they couldn't stand one another. I used to wish they would get divorced. I would rather have two parents of the same sex who loved each other than one of each who didn't. Because what are you teaching your kids if you don't love your husband or wife? Besides setting them up for severe anxiety and depression, you're teaching them that hate is okay. That hate is a part of life.

I really wish we could banish hate. Hate is the worst thing humans ever came up with. It's even worse when we start to believe our hate towards people is justified, by saying God hates them too. I read this very powerful line in a book once, said by a gay priest named Tom "It is safe to say you created God in your own image when it turns out God hates all the same people you do." Makes you think, doesn't it? So to all you Bible thumpers who I sometimes wish would go fall through a bunch of operating chainsaws, I love you.

Okay, I have concluded my rant. My blood has cooled down to a simmer. I think I can go back to minding my own business now.

Oh, one more thing. Please don't pray that I will "see the error of my ways" and start to think like you. I don't care if I go to hell for this, but I really do believe that it's okay to be with the person you love, no matter what is or isn't in their pants.

No comments: